It doesn’t take an Orthopedic Surgeon to tell that both of those bones in the picture are broken…and yes, those are my bones, from my right leg to be exact.
Now I wish that I could say I was doing something spectacular when this accident happen, maybe rescuing the elderly from a fire at a rest home or evacuating US Diplomats from a US Embassy under siege. No, it was another all too common ATV accident.
On May 9th I decided to take my ATV out to 5 Mile Pass to scout some new trails. I went alone…yes; I know it was a mistake. Long story short, after an hour or so of riding I came to rut in the tail and ended up taking it at a wrong angle, slipping off the bike and ending up with a compound (meaning the bones were sticking out of the skin) break in both the Tibia and the Fibia. Under normal circumstances this break and the ensuing loss of blood would be a challenge, however I found myself about 25 miles from help and alone in the Utah desert. Never have I ever felt so alone.
I will save the dramatics of my ride back for another post one day, but I will say that I have never felt so much pain and come so close to having Shock take over in my life. However painful, I did make it back to help and eventually to the hospital and then into surgery. I spent 4 nights in the hospital and now I am home, helpless hobbling around the house.

No comments:
Post a Comment