Saturday, January 15, 2011
Ordinary people
I am middle class. I am a middle class American and regardless of what happens I will always be a middle class American. There I said it...those are not easy words to proclaim. I have come to understand that in America there is this fallacy that if you work hard enough, buy the right stuff and say the right things that you will rise out of the depths of the middle class and join the ranks of the elite upper class. This is simply not true. I will admit that for a long time I believed this. I thought that one day I could belong to the upper class. The problem with this thinking is that though I am still middle class, I started to train my thoughts, my votes and my views towards the upper class. I was not really representing who I am or where I come from. Everything around us tries to drive us to think that with this purchase we can fit into the ranks of the bourgeoisie. I'm no longer buying it. I am proud to be a middle class American, as should all of you. The middle class has done so much that we can be proud of that there should be no shame in saying that I am a part of it. They fought the wars that restored freedom and liberty, they built the schools and roads that drive our countries infrastructure, they built the 335 Magnum tractor (albeit, under unionized control) and they feed the word every day. This is a class that I am proud to belong to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment